Skip to main content

Reporting Student Conduct Violations

Any member of the campus, including those directly affiliated with an organization, may report an organization or its members for alleged violations of the University Standards of Conduct. Examples include hazing, battery/assault, health & safety, alcohol, discrimination & harassment, and sexual misconduct. UCSD may extend jurisdiction off-campus for misconduct that has occurred.

The university takes allegations seriously and will review all reports for appropriate next steps. In determining the best next steps, the University will weigh the wishes of the reporting or affected parties along with the seriousness of the alleged violations and the health and safety of the campus community. Individuals are encouraged to provide as much information as possible. While anonymous reports, or reports with limited information will be reviewed, the University may be limited in its ability to respond as these reports may not contain sufficient detail to enable the University to engage in a resolution process.

The following resources are available to individuals looking to file a report of an incident or discuss reporting options with a University Official.

When reporting an incident:

  • Indicate who was involved, what happened, and when and where it occurred.
  • Supply as much detail as possible.
  • Provide your name, phone number, and e-mail address.
  • Provide the contact information of any witnesses.
  • You may file an anonymous report, but you should know that such a report can make an investigation more difficult and sometimes unsuccessful.

Non-Confidential Reporting Options

The following resources are available to individuals looking to file a report of an incident or discuss reporting options with a University Official.

SAGE (formerly Student Conduct)

Reviews and resolves reports of non-academic misconduct. 858-534-6225

Incident Report Form


Receives reports of allegations of discrimination and harassment, including sexual violence and harassment. 858-534-8298


Conducts patrol, investigation, crime prevention education, responds to emergencies. 858-534-4357 (non-emergency), 9-1-1 (emergency)

Confidential Resources

The following resources are available to individuals looking for confidential guidance and advising on their options and resources.


CARE at the Sexual Assault Resource Center provides free & confidential services for those impacted by sexual violence. 838-534-5793


Confidential, neutral and informal dispute resolution services. 858-534-0777


Student Legal Services (SLS) provides free, confidential counseling on legal topics for individuals and groups. 858-534-4374

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens after a report is submitted?

  • The report is routed to the appropriate office for review.
  • If allegations are violations of the Standards of Conduct, the Student Conduct process may begin.
  • If allegations are violations of the Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Policy, the OPHD resolution process may begin.
  • You may be contacted for a follow-up discussion.

What does being a “reporting party” mean?

  • The reporting party is the individual who filed the initial report.
  • You may be contacted for follow up meetings and supplemental information.
  • Sometimes the reporting party is not contacted, as the report contains sufficient information.

What does being a witness involve?

Being a witness involves providing information related to the incident report. This could be via email or meetings with University staff.

What is FERPA?

  • FERPA stands for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, a federal law that safeguards students’ educational records.
  • Only certain University staff including the Center for Student Accountability, Growth, and Education, your college Dean's Office, the Residential Life Offices, or those with a legitimate educational right to know as defined by FERPA, have access to student conduct records.
  • With limited exceptions, only the Respondent and victims of violence requesting information about outcomes may be entitled to confidential educational records under FERPA.

Can I make a report to OPHD anonymously?

You can make a report anonymously on OPHD’s website at Please note that OPHD may be limited in the action that can be taken when a complaint is submitted anonymously.

I filed a report to OPHD for a friend who was a victim of sexual misconduct. Why haven't I received any updates?

Under UC policies, case specific information, including outcomes and status updates, are only provided to the direct parties for the report (“Complainant” and “Respondent” as defined under the SVSH Policy). Therefore, other individuals may submit a complaint on someone’s behalf but will likely not receive updates beyond confirmation of receipt and/or requests for additional information.

Additional Resources

  • Center for Student Involvement: or (858) 534-0501
    • Sorority & Fraternity Life
    • Registered Student Organizations
  • Sports Clubs: Your sports advisor or (858) 534-8085
  • Intercollegiate Athletics: Your sports supervisor or (858) 534-4211